The next step?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next step?

So you have eliminated your debt and have a few, extra bucks. What now? What are the smartest investments, we can make today to prepare for our futures tomorrow? I'd love to hear your thoughts?
    JUST CAUSE THEY SAY IT DON'T MAKE IT TRUE And if it comes from Info Wars or Alex Jones, it's probably BULLSHIT!

Steve Bannon in his own words, speaks on Breitbart and the alt right http://www.theinvestigativefund.org/..._nationalists/

Know the FACTS b4 going off half cocked

From what I've read, food will double in price in the next ten years, so.... I think it may be a good idea to put in a survival garden using the Permaculture concept if you have land, as well as lots of canning supplies.

Comment

"Investments"?

For me, Gold and Silver are NOT investments, they are an Insurance Policy!

If SHTF Day dawns I will be covered but if it does not, I will get all my premiums back.

I am OUT of the sharemarket!

Comment

The first investment on your homestead should be your fruit and nut trees and berry bushes. Some of these take 3-5 years to be fully grown and producing what you need for your family. And then I'd say a medicinal herb garden and survival garden. But the only problem with a survival garden is everyone knows what a garden looks like so anyone that goes by your house when SHTF is going to know you have food. I do like the idea of a starting now and creating a food forest, similar to what Geoff Lawton talks about. His is more tropical but it can be done in the U.S. with the right investment of time. I'd rather spend three years now laying the ground work for a food forest so that when SHTF, my food is hidden from view and takes very little upkeep to maintain. When my energy is at its lowest point, I won't have to worry about watering and weeding in order to maintain my garden.
        Last edited by dkelblaine; 01-09-2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Well it snowed and iced here in TN. Very rare, and I woke up to frozen hot water pipe and 3 degrees. My entire herb garden is about dead, but my citrus trees were moved indoors and are doing fine. So, I guess I will be spending money on a greenhouse as well as new plants. I'm rethinking my planting to pots instead of beds as I know the temps will rise to over 100 this summer ( which also kills my herbs). In a food forest, would you have the same problems?

Comment

I don't believe so. Here's a video about cold climate food forests, including one that's forty years old in Massachusettes.

Comment

• Ollady
              Ollady commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you have a link?

So guys and gals, I like where your going with this but I guess I wanted to suggest something else and thought it would just come up?

The next investment I think paramount after debt relieve, is home ownership and or a bug out retreat. Now before you all come down on me for for talking about bugging out, when I have made the choice to bug in? Remember that my way isn't the only way. Any advice I give on the board are SUGGESTIONS. I am not the ultimate authority or Mr. Supper Prepper know it all. I'm just like you with just enough knowledge to get me in trouble.

Having said that many will exclaim, that with a housing market still down from 2007, why should we own our homes? It's a good question and not appropriate for everybody all the time. However before the financial crisis and predatory lending of the banks, home ownership was the single best investment, one could make in their future. property values would mostly rise, while the cost of construction made older homes, more valuable in a modern market. So if all that's true? How do people get into problems with their homes? The answer is simple, GREED! Sorry that's pretty harsh but if we look at things intelligently, what other word can we use? Buying to much home with limited income HOPEING for change doesn't work. Good , sensible , planning works as we all know. So if the amount of disposable income you have equals say $500 a month, realistically you can afford about a $250 a month mortgage. Now that's not what your broker will tell you . They want you to spend every dime and push your finances to the edge. Why? Bigger commissions. Problem is they and the banks don't factor things like job loss, health issues, births and deaths, economic downturns and whatever else can happen? So stay in your lane and only buy what you can afford. I'll be back whit a payment stratergy that will pay of your home in half the time with no real extra stress on your person.You will however have to consider something outside the box?

Thanks again for reading and I hope this and all my posts, are helpful?
            JUST CAUSE THEY SAY IT DON'T MAKE IT TRUE And if it comes from Info Wars or Alex Jones, it's probably BULLSHIT!

Steve Bannon in his own words, speaks on Breitbart and the alt right http://www.theinvestigativefund.org/..._nationalists/

Comment

Invest on some insurance policy or mutual funds. Don't buy shares.

Comment

Mutual Funds are heavily into shares!

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
                  Invest on some insurance policy
                  My wife has worked insurance for almost 20 years and considers it one of the worst investments, a person can make. What makes you recommend buying insurance so emphatically, in this thread?

Comment

I think the best investment is into something you can control and manage.. Whether it's a business you know inside out, even professional investors have all sorts of metrics they look at before putting down money. I'm no expert but with most businesses failing, it's pretty clear most are bad to invest in or even scams. If a biz needs money, it's obviously not doing well and you probably should stay out. I lost money twice by giving it to business owners in trouble, and never saw 95% of them again.
                    Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dan_f_sullivan View Post
                      I lost money twice by giving it to business owners in trouble, and never saw 95% of them again.
                      Wow! Sorry to hear that I'm not bragging but honestly, I have never lost money in business. I have however fallen for a scam in my life. So I was a college student studying psychology. After 4 years realized (and yes it took me that long) that my degree, wouldn't allow me to see patients. That's what I really wanted to do. So I took a class in hypnotherapy, thinking I could open a clinic and see people. Boy was I wrong! I won't go into wy and all that but just say that $1200 flew out the window. So yeah we can be taken in either by a scam artist or our own shortcomings.

Btw, while home ownership imo is the next thing one should do after becoming debt free, a home business would be my close second choice

Comment

Originally posted by Skills b4 Gear View Post

Wow! Sorry to hear that I'm not bragging but honestly, I have never lost money in business.
                        I didn't actually get involved in the business, I just gave them money. My mistake was I didn't do my homework, I never asked for accounting documents or anything like that, I just talked to them. Lesson learned. A home business sounds like a good idea, nowadays you can even hire people such as freelancers, coaches and consultants and work with them from the comfort of your own home.
                        Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

Wow you are lucky, I have lost lots of money in businesses..I have had 2 restaurants, 4 clothing stores, a gift shop, a motorcycle gear shop, a soap craft business, a yarn store, sold neolife food products, thrive products, world book encyclopedias, owned a daycare center, and now have a weaving and spinning business..in addition, I ran a childcare center, taught special education, and was a school principal..I have also made money, lol

Comment

Sounds like you have some pretty amazing business knowledge. May I ask how many of them failed? I read or heard somewhere that 90% of businesses fail after 50 years.. on the other hand, if a business is barely making a profit, that can also be considered a failure.. so I guess the whole thing is subjective.. nevertheless..
                            Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

• Ollady
                              Ollady commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sure, the first restaurant made lots of money, with that money I opened the baby store, the maternity shop, a large size ladies clothing store. Sold the restaurant, and the baby maternity store. Took that money and opened a wedding shop.i moved away and took the wedding shop with me, and bought a restaurant, it had falsified books and lost money from day one, also the employees were stealing everything they could. Filed bankruptcy and lost my 60k in that endeavor. Wedding shop did great, closed it 5 years later when I moved again. Opened the Christmas gift shop and broke even 3 years later.. Moved again to TN and opened the yarn shop and motorcycle shop..decided to close down after six years, and sold all the mdse at a profit on the bike shop..took all the yarns and equipment and went on the road doing high end craft shows, I work out of my home and do about 10 shows a year..it makes a living. One thing I should add, is that I opened up each business on a shoestring budget..less than 5k. The only exception was the restaurant, I had 10 k in inventory, and capital..50k down payment.
                              Last edited by Ollady; Today, 05:27 PM.
                          Working...
                          X