No announcement yet.

Relying on Other People

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do NOT rely on other people, especially strangers, in an emergency situation, you do not know how they will act under duress, if experience is anything to go by not very well.
    if you don't know you can trust someone, you are better off alone-at least you've only got yourself to worry about.
    don't worry about lonliness, you'll be too busy doing stuff to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
      Do NOT rely on other people, you are better off alone-at least you've only got yourself to worry about.
      don't worry about lonliness, you'll be too busy doing stuff to notice.
      Probably the worst advice ever offered on a prepping forum. Nothing to back it up just hogwash. Man is a social animal dependent on others for survival. Nobody makes it on their own without consequences. Even those who have gone long periods isolated from society welcome reintegration with humanity. We are and always will be dependent on others no matter how much Independence we gain. We just can't do everything. Just try being totally alone and fending for yourself with no contact for 30 days and see what happens? Then come back to the forum and describe your experience. I will bet that that you will be disorientated and somewhat incoherent. At least this has been the norm of others who have suffered such isolation. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/ar...-to-your-mind/

Another example of the nonsense uttered on the web by wanabe authorities.

Comment

goodasgold

Have you ever wondered just why this forum has ground to a halt, and few ever stay more than a month? This site claims about 25 'active' members, not even close!

Maybe you can ask EX member Mr Skills if he knows?

hint:

aggressive, rude, ignorant and arrogant posts such as yours.

OC

Comment

That claim is by the software, which probably also counts the people who log in but don't say anything.. Many are just looking around, though I'm sure they find value in some of the posts.

To throw in my 0.02 cents about the OP, I'm leaning towards cooperation as well but I think both scenarios are plausible. For instance, did you know most women are being raped when migrating to the US, on the way there? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5806972.html

I think under the right circumstances, people turn into savages, but again, well wont' know for sure until the time comes..
          Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

You see this is what happens in real life. People come to the aid of others. As far as this
            Originally posted by Old Codger View Post
            goodasgold
            aggressive, rude, ignorant and arrogant posts such as yours.
            OC
            is concerned, Arrogant? Yes it comes from knowing what your talking about. Rude? Perhaps if you chose to take it that way. Aggressive? Maybe if you are of the PC type. Ignorant? Never!

This forum from it's inception has been DOA and it was Mr. Skills who kept it moving. I for one enjoyed his posts. To bad he's gone.

Comment

Dan I agree that people can be savage. The picture you posted of people being animals on a black Friday is proof of that. When people are afraid their first instinct is to behave like animals. But when the fear passes and things get back to normal so to speak man will return to it's true nature. Which as you say is one of cooperation and reason. To think that one can somehow just live in the shadows avoiding all contact with man to survive just can't be sustained and makes no sense.

Comment

Agreed, and let's give grumpygremlin some breathing room He did say "rely" on people and "in an emergency situation"... Not to say we won't be forced to cooperate with thugs if we'll have no choice.
                Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

"This forum from it's inception has been DOA and it was Mr. Skills who kept it moving. I for one enjoyed his posts. To bad he's gone."

And I for one was most pleased to find that Mr Skills had departed this Forum, and it was because of some of his posts that I ceased posting, and visited only rarely.

The lady members here are honourable exceptions to my comments here by the way, all have displayed knowledge, civility, and manners some others have not.

OC

Comment

And I for one was most pleased to find that Mr Skills had departed this Forum, and it was because of some of his posts that I ceased posting, and visited only rarely.
                    OC
                    So now you are free to enlighten us with your copious wealth of knowledge. I look forward to your many informative and detailed postings. Or maybe you just used skills as an excuse to whine?

The lady members here are honourable exceptions to my comments here by the way, all have displayed knowledge, civility, and manners some others have not.
                    So you like what the ladies have to say and the way they say it? I to find some of their posts informative and enlightening but why single them out? I find most of the posts on the site worthy of reading. If your threatened by strong masculine opinions and the way men present them you might want to go someplace else? Last I looked about 90% of the people here are men.

I tell you what oc I'll do my best to temper my posts in a way as not to upset your delicate sensibilities. I wouldn't want you to have to survive the rigors of an online forum. Compared to a survival situation I know how brutal this must be for you. Grow a pair buddy and try not hiding under the women of this forums skirts. From what I've seen they have more balls than you will ever have.

Comment

Originally posted by goodasgold View Post

I tell you what oc I'll do my best to temper my posts in a way as not to upset your delicate sensibilities. I wouldn't want you to have to survive the rigors of an online forum. Compared to a survival situation I know how brutal this must be for you. Grow a pair buddy and try not hiding under the women of this forums skirts. From what I've seen they have more balls than you will ever have.

Let's try to keep things on topic, please. We're here to talk about survival, not measure our dicks
                      Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

I agree. Please stay on topic. I guess what I take away from all of your responses is that perhaps there is a way to do both. I think initially I would be more inclined to let things settle down and let the crazies weed themselves out of society. Then perhaps I would reach out to people I used to trust, but it a controlled environment (like in a neutral environment with a gun). The information I have other people would certainly be limited. I would force each person to prove that they deserve my trust, and only let one person at a time into my group. Perhaps when society becomes more organize I might be able to become more trustworthy, but it would be a VERY slow process for me. I am not a social person an only physically visit one or two other people a month with the work I currently do (other than my family). I also am in pretty good shape for resources, so no need to rush into trusting other people.

Comment

I have been thinking about that a lot lately, as cancer is taking my SO soon. I am having to decide whether or not to sell my home and move in with the kids, to stay alone, to start dating at 65 etc. I love my alone time, don't get me wrong, but can I truly feel safe being alone in my home..I do not need sleepless nights and panic attacks during the night. And yes, I will be adding a gun once he's gone..I was not allowed one now as he has mental issues, ptsd etc.

Comment

I would move in with family and look for people who share the prepping mentality to socialize with in the community. There you might find someone who you can share your lifestyle with. It's a hard reality but at 65 I don't think you can defend yourself alone even with guns. While your defending the frontal assault they will come in the back and kill you. It's just basic tactics and why you need more than one person to defend the homestead. I see no circumstance when trying to survive alone makes sense.

You could also look for a survival group to join so long as you have skills to share with the group? In another forum you spoke of discourse in groups as being life threatening but in real life survival groups petty differences don't matter. The survival of the group as a whole takes on the lions share of intelligence and rational behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by goodasgold View Post

Probably the worst advice ever offered on a prepping forum. Nothing to back it up just hogwash. Man is a social animal dependent on others for survival. Nobody makes it on their own without consequences. Even those who have gone long periods isolated from society welcome reintegration with humanity. We are and always will be dependent on others no matter how much Independence we gain. We just can't do everything. Just try being totally alone and fending for yourself with no contact for 30 days and see what happens? Then come back to the forum and describe your experience. I will bet that that you will be disorientated and somewhat incoherent. At least this has been the norm of others who have suffered such isolation. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/ar...-to-your-mind/

Another example of the nonsense uttered on the web by wanabe authorities.

30 days? try 12 years, hell try most of my life. a lifetimes experience has taught me that we cannot rely on other people, and that's in the good times, post SHTF they will snatch the last crumb from a baby's cradle.
                              a group is only as good as the people within it, pick bad ones and your life will be fraught with danger, at least alone I know who to trust----ME!.
                              there is a saying here, one which I live by on a daily basis, : "if you don't know them, haven't worked with them or spent time with them, THEN DONT TRUST THEM".
                              Last edited by grumpygremlin; 09-25-2017, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X