Cooking methods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking methods

What cooking methods are the best in a shtf situation? I don't want to eat boiled foods the rest of my life. What are you planning on using for long term cooking? Sun oven? Rocket stove? Herc? Others?

I have lost confidence in the admin of this board. So it is with heavy heart,
    that I can no longer support it. I will more than likely start my own board in
    the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
    and remember "to be aware is to be alive" until we meet again
    Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:58 AM.

Comment

I was in Girl Scouts, I learned that one too, also cooking with a can stove, I had forgotten about those, thanks for the reminder. What I am concerned with is if I bug in and want to be inconspicuous I would need to cook indoors? No electricity? What ideas besides boiling?

Comment

An alcohol stove like an Esbit is great to cook on/heat with and there are very few fumes.

Comment

So far, I have a grill that runs on cans of gas and a mini-stove from Survival Frog. The grill is at least 8 years old but still works well. I've got a few 25 packs of cans. You could probably cook at least 5-7 steaks, one by one, with a single can. Not that it would be feasible, possible or smart in a SHTF scenario. I'd use this for boiling water for rice, beans, oatmeal and dehydrated fruits and meats. The cans are cheap, the grill is cheap. Just gotta clean it after each use. I don't have any battery banks, just a huge gas generator, not ideal for cooking or anything Ina SHTF scenario. Fuel would be too hard to get most likely too. As for the mini-stove, it runs on these candles that don't give off fumes, hexa-something. 1 stove, 18 candles, I think about $20 for it all. I need to get way more candles but 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I'm going to build a solar oven soon. That will be my primary and the rest for night cooking. Survival Frog has some cool stuff. I saw a charger that lets you cook and charge electronics by burning wood on top, or whatever you have to burn as a fuel source I think $150 for the set.
          Attached Files
          InfoWars.com - spread the word, pure, unbiased truth that needs to be heard and shared.

If Hillary & Obama call out InfoWars and Alex Jones specifically, you know they think he (the truth) is a major threat.

"I trust MSM like I do big bro. MSM is little bro".

Comment

the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
            Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:58 AM.

Comment

camping stove, rocket stove, a "hobo" stove even, I've got all these for the interim period, long term i'll be cooking on a wood burner a friend made for me from a gas cylinder- that's packed away waiting for SHTF to happen(we're all electric and not allowed wood burners during normal times).

Comment

Apart from gas central heating which uses a electric fan, we are an all electric home.

I have 3x gas canister cookers, 3x 'Hobo stoves', 3x wood chip type cookers and the big outdoor BBQ. LOTS of fuel for each.

Do NOT let the neighbours smell all that lovely meat sizzling on the hot plate!

OC

Comment

I have thought hard on the aspect of cooking without leaving my house period..my solution has been to can the foods I love..so I have BBQ pork, meatballs or ital sausage in sauce, salmon, crab, shrimp, and tuna that is prepared for quick sands or on sprout salads. Also have chicken, chicken soup, stew etc. all are eat out of the jar, or brought to a boil. There are so many things you can put into cans or dehydrate, there is no reason to deprive oneself and live on wheat or beans. I have been playing with sprouting...love chick peas sprouted, they taste like a softer nut..great on sandwiches and in salad. Can also make hummus. I also have 25 yr cans of dehydrated and freeze dried as additives and fillers.

Comment

Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:59 AM.

Comment

These little camp stoves are great for bugging in and the gas bottles aren't expensive and last a while if you are frying or making rice by absorption method (covered and simmering gently). The gas will run out quickly if you boil large amounts of water often however, so if fire is an option then boil water with fire and spare the gas stove for when finer temperature control (or keeping a low profile) is needed. These are good for a smaller option, but the fuel doesn't last very long as they are basically firelighters. They are more of an emergency overnighter thing unless you can replace the fuel. Possibly small fuel bricks could be made from pine or birch tar mixed with sawdust? I'm sure there's a way.

If you are in a more long term situation an oven could be made using bricks or rocks or adobe and any sort of metal box with a lid as long as it doesn't seal 100% tight, and of course old fashioned dutch ovens are great. Some other ideas Here, including a hangi if you have a big feast to cook and a day or so to drool while you wait.

On another note ------------------------------------------------------------

I would advise against the video detailing how to charge a phone with fire. The peltier device used is just like any other semiconductor and excessive heat will reduce its lifespan considerably. (From memory they are rated for a temperature difference of around 80C between the hot and cold side. I'm not sure what the absolute maximum temperature is but you can be certain it's not "fire"). If you are crafty you may devise a way to regulate the hot side to 100C using water, which should be adequate to keep them within spec as the cold side should still be hotter than the ambient temperature.

Another issue with the video is that there is no regulation on the voltage whatsoever. There's a reason why chargers have a fixed voltage - if they could charge them safely at a higher voltage they would do so. Yet another issue is efficiency. These devices are fairly efficient operating as a heat pump, but in the reverse operation turning a temperature difference into a current they only hit about 7% in the best case scenario. I'm presuming that the author of the video was able to charge his phone because he was overdriving the peltier device. Bye bye peltier device and phone after a few goes. That's not to say that these devices couldn't be used if done right but the way the video goes about it is wreckless.
                      Read or Download the Doom Survival Guide

Comment

Saw a great video awhile back by one of my favorite guys, Boss of the Swamp on YouTube. He has two off grid cabins. Anyhow he built a rocket stove from two 16-quart stainless steel stock pans and some U-bolts. Shows you step by step how to do it and fires it up and cooks on it outdoors in the middle of winter. Uses just a handle full of sticks and twigs to cook a Philly Cheesteak sandwhich! Pretty effective and would be great in a grid down situation because the fire was smoke-free.

Comment

Comment

Sorry just saw your request. I think this was the one. He has an update too which is helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM5bOIteAfw and there's an article on how to make a rocket stove on Dan's site too. Here's that link. http://www.survivalsullivan.com/how-...-rocket-stove/
                            Last edited by Megan Stewart; 01-20-2017, 01:19 AM. Reason: added link to Dan's article too.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X