Credible news sources list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credible news sources list

So I was thinking about what I wrote yesterday, that CNN and Fox are in many ways flawed. This got me thinking about the fact that there may be other news sources out there that we could read. Preferably, the ones that are less dramatic and that will leave us to draw the conclusions. Let's add here left-wing, right-wing as well as center news sources.

I'll start. One right wing website I discovered recently that I've enjoined is The Hill: http://thehill.com/

(P.S. If you think a news source is BS, feel free to say so, the more we know about them, the better.)
    Always stay safe,

Dan

I think CBS is very biased and that goes from the morning show to Scott pelley. I wish they reported the news without their leading and commentary.

Comment

It's not the news source that's credible or not, it's your own filter and fact finding capabilities that matter. Who, what, where, why and how are what good news sources present to their readers and/or watchers. The thing to focus on is the WHY, this is where the slant comes in. Or you can omit the why altogether, for a honest view of the facts. Until we learn to discern fact from fiction, our perspective on the news is skewed. To truly understand that which we read and/or watch we need to filter out the slant by first identifying what the slant is . Example; a news source seems to mostly side with one perspective or another, when presenting the news (ie: fox and the republican agenda) or (msnbc and the democrat agenda) Partizan slants loose the argument immediately because depending on our own leanings, we will stop listening once we recognize the partisanship. So to best (there's that word again) filter the news, it's presentation needs to be unbiased. More importantly, it's delivery needs to be absent of opinion. Opinions are like (well you know the saying) and have little to now value in the face of facts.

So stick to the facts and you will be better informed. Now how you process those facts, can also lead you down the wrong hole? When reading or watching the news we need to be aware of our own biases and put them aside, to digest the information purely. Now I'm not suggesting that one omit his own beliefs when contemplating action. What we believe, will influence our decision making process greatly. However, when first discerning information, we need to try as best we can, to see the facts through a clear filter. Then our movement to action, will at the very least be "informed" and therefore educated.

Problem is most people today refuse to educate themselves, using a Socratic method of discernment (question & answers) leading all answers to the next question teaching one to think "CRITICALLY" and in doing so makes the discernment process never ending.

So what I'm saying in a nutshell is, the more we question that which we read and/or watch, the more informed we are

Comment

And yet you have this in your sig "...if it comes from Info Wars or Alex Jones, it's probably BULLSHIT!"

Credibility refers to the probability of a news being either distorted or completely fake. Understanding what's happening around us is as hard as it is, we don't need fake news outlets making it even harder for us. Whatever facts low-credibility news sources have, they'll most likely be found on other sources if they are true. If not, they probably aren't. In any case, avoiding certain news sources and focusing on the ones that have a better reputation will not only save time, but also effort when reaching conclusions and finding out the truth (though one could argue that we'll never know the whole truth and nothing but the truth).
        Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dan_f_sullivan View Post
          And yet you have this in your sig "...if it comes from Info Wars or Alex Jones, it's probably BULLSHIT!"
          That's because I have already determined that a "conspiracy theory" slant on news, is not news at all but is in fact SENSATIONALISM

Comment

Originally posted by Skills b4 Gear View Post

That's because I have already determined that a "conspiracy theory" slant on news, is not news at all but is in fact SENSATIONALISM
            And sensationalism is part of news, whether we like it or not. For instance, the daily mail is full of it, yet they covered the migrant crisis very well. Now whether they exaggerated or lied is a different story, but knowing all of this about them is good to know. I for one prefer not to read anything BUT migrant/terrorism news coming from them..
            Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

And sensationalism is part of news
              I disagree. Sensationalism is a literary bias, meant to elicit a visceral effect, in place of news In other words, it's meant to touch the emotions rather than the intellect.
              Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 03-23-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I disagree. Sensationalism is a literary bias, meant to elicit a visceral effect, in place of news In other words, it's meant to touch the emotions rather than the intellect.
                So sensationalism IS part of news, you're not really disagreeing with me. Also on the fact that any news has an emotional component, not just an intellectual one.
                Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

So sensationalism IS part of news.
                  NO! It's a BIASED slant on news, which as I have already said is no news at all. Also news is informational not emotional although you may have feelings about the news, the news itself is just information, the who, what, where, when and how.
                  Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 03-23-2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

To me, news is information plus delivery. To you, news equals information. Agree to disagree

I think that, ever since we'd come back as cavemen form the hunt and announced with an upset voice to the group that we didn't bring anything back, news had bias attached to it. Even if you want to see the slat as you call it separately, we should be selective about our news sources. I'm willing to be you don't check infowars every day, though I'm very curious to know where you DO get your news from..
                    Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

To me, news is information plus delivery.
                      I don't just disagree, I emphatically say your wrong. News has a definition http://www.thefreedictionary.com/news and isn't an opinion. Attaching bias to news, skews the information and creates "FAKE NEWS" which is obviously not news because it's fake

As to where I get my news, it depends? I like to go to authorities, on a subject. So if I want information about a new medical procedure I go to the AMA website, the New England Journal of Medicine and WebMD. For my daily fix of news I start with The Huffington Post and then go to FactCheck.org to validate the information. But if I want information about specifics like Trumpcare, I go to the site with the bill so I can read it for myself. Basically I go to the source of the news, to read what happened. I rarely watch TV but when I do it's for entertainment like movies rather than news. I don't want to have to filter the director, producers and anchors presentations, to get to the news

Comment

Well the definition is giving us both right. If you read point b., it says:

b. A presentation of such information, as in a newspaper or on a newscast:
                        Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

Also, I think you got the face news thing wrong. It refers to the actual informational component of the news being fake, not the bias.

When someone tells me "This is is fake news", me and most people think about the fact that the information is wrong, not that the person who delivers it exaggerates. If you look at this list of the biggest fake news of 2016, you'll see that the contents of the news is considered to be false, not the way it is delivered:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...N5K#.ko4PBoM2o

In fact, some of these fake news seem to have no bias at all, judging by their titles.
                          Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

Well the definition is giving us both right. If you read point b., it says:

Point b says nothing about emotional content which is what you argued and what makes you wrong. Information equals news. I will concede that while bias in and of itself does not solely equal fake news, it can be contributory to it. What I'm saying is that distorted information, is fake news and bias contributes to the distortion

Comment

Point b says nothing about emotional content which is what you argued and what makes you wrong.
                              Point b says that the entire presentation of the information is news. The anchor people, their tone of voice, their words and their bias is arguably included.
                              Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X