Robbed at gunpoint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbed at gunpoint

So I have been thinking about self defense today and about possible scenarios where I might have to use my training. I am confident in my abilities. However, firearms in particular create a unique situation. If I were to be robbed a knife point, I have no doubt that I could disarm the assailant and defend myself. I am confident that I could disarm an assailant that is robbing me at gunpoint, but would I want to try?

Unlike a knife, a hand gun can accidentally go off even if the attacker did not intend to fire. I do not carry cash on me, and I have protection on my credit cards, so it is not like I am risking much. I guess my dilemma is if I would want to disarm the attacker to eliminate the risk, or just give them my wallet and hope they do no intend to shoot me anyways. While I have firearms at home, I do not carry one on me. I have a wife and young son at home and would hate to get accidentally shot trying to disarm the robber. Any thoughts on this subject?

Some additional statistics to consider on this subject after I did more research: A full 30% of violent crimes are committed with an unloaded gun, and another 10-15% are committed with a replica. An additional 13% of guns seized during robberies are non-functional. Add it up and over half of the guns used in violent crimes would not even fire.

Then there is the ability of an assailant to hit a target. It has been calculated that trained police officers hit their target in real world situations 10-23% of the time. It can be assumed that most criminals have less training and would be less accurate. Then there are the actual wound figures. Of violent crimes committed with a loaded, functioning firearm, only 4.6% resulted in a gun shot wound. The survival rate of gun shot wounds during violent crimes is 92%.

However, the real question is to resist or not to resist. Studies show that robbers are 20% more likely to fire a gun if faced with resistance from a man. The numbers are much higher for women. Still, I have a 99.6% chance of surviving either way. Resistance was shown to help the victim in 63% of violent crimes and only hurt the victim in 9%. I like those odds.

Comment

Fascinating data, thank you.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Dotson View Post
        However, the real question is to resist or not to resist. Studies show that robbers are 20% more likely to fire a gun if faced with resistance from a man. The numbers are much higher for women. Still, I have a 99.6% chance of surviving either way. Resistance was shown to help the victim in 63% of violent crimes and only hurt the victim in 9%. I like those odds.
        Question was asked and answered wasn't it?

Comment

Working...
        X