Need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

Okay, I have two things I need help on: First I have a well, it has not been used since city water came here. It is lined, and still has the pipe in it, it is inside of a building. Probably 50 feet of water..the pump is gone. I want to use it again, but with a hand pump system, I don't mind walking the 20 steps to pump water and bring it into the house. What kind of pump is best, and how is it installed. I have called plumbers, they think I'm crazy and don't want to do it.
    second: has anyone canned their own deviled ham, I'm looking for a recipe. Tks

Here is a supposed, "winning" devils ham recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/w...am-recipe.html Can't help you with the well thing

Comment

• Ollady
      Ollady commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I wanted a canning recipe...like the stuff you buy at the store in the small cans....but thank you

For all things water related, I always check in with Engineer775 on youtube. He has TONS of videos on water related subjects including wells, spring development, ram pumps, hand pumps, solar pumps, etc. If there is a way to do what you want, he's the guy who will have that information. I've included one of his videos here but if this doesn't fit your well---please go check out some of his other videos, there are tons and his instructions are very detailed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv8QMMsrdR8
    Good luck!

Comment

• Ollady
      Ollady commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your help.

New question, I found used blue water barrels with lids..they contained jalapeƱos. Can they be cleaned enough for safe drinking water? Also 250 gal that had molasses..

Comment

Originally posted by Ollady View Post
      New question, I found used blue water barrels with lids..they contained jalapeƱos. Can they be cleaned enough for safe drinking water? Also 250 gal that had molasses..
      I'm certainly no water expert so this is just my opinion. I would think they could be cleaned well enough to be "safe" to drink from but I'm not sure that you'd ever completely eliminate the smell/taste of jalapenos. It's just one of those foods that lingers. But it might be worth a try. My suggestion would be to thoroughly clean and scrub with bleach water and then fill with clean water and a little bleach and agitate (shake or roll it around) and let it sit for several weeks. Every few days, dump it out, fill with clean water and more bleach. You may always have a hint of jalapeno taste but it should be "safe" enough.

As for the molasses, I'd try the same cleaning process only using warm water and some dish soap first and then the bleach water. I would be more concerned here with not getting all of the molasses out and having some residual mold because of that? It's really hard to say if either would result in drinkable water---but you could definitely use it on the garden or for cooking, if nothing else.

Comment

I believe and I don't know for sure, that any bucket or barrel specifically used for food is OK to store water in. Now let me tell you, cleaning can be a royal pain in the ass. We have a Firehouse subs sandwich shop by where we live and for $2 you can buy 5 gallon buckets, that were used for their pickles. It seems like no matter what we do it takes months for these things to stop smelling. We tried straight bleach, bleach water, vinegar and baking soda, ammonia, Dawn dish soap, laundry detergent and almost anything else we could find. Nothing worked! But after repeated tries with different things, the smell lessened and EVENTUALLY went away. Just take your time and you should be good. Besides water that taste like molasses, sounds kinda good

Comment

I have used pickle buckets..try some baking soda and leave them open..smell disapates faster

Comment

Working...
          X