Wild hogs... the ideal way to hunt and stockpile food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild hogs... the ideal way to hunt and stockpile food

In a few weeks I am headed to Georgia for a hog hunt, and wanted to talk about the opportunity every prepper has with these animals. Most people know that wild hogs are destructive and the population is out of control in many parts of the country. This gives preppers/hunters a unique situation. Most states either have no regulations on hunting hogs or the regulations are very laxed. Many states let you kill as many as you want using any weapon you want. You can often hunt at night and are welcome to bait the hogs or use dogs. In some states you do not even need a hunting license to kill hogs. They are such a nuisance that the department of conservation just wants them gone. Many farmers will let you hunt their land for free to try and control the hog population. All of this equates to hundreds of pounds of delicious meat to bring home.

The other side of this opportunity is the quality and consistency of the meat. For some reason we have been taught that pork is bad for us. However, in a survival situation it is an ideal meat. Wild pork has some marbled fat, lots of calories, and lots of protein. For preservation you have the options of canning, salting, dry aging, or making jerky. My grandfather owned the largest hog operation in the state of Missouri. He ate bacon every morning and often had pork for dinner as well. He was one the fittest men I have ever known for his age. I love deer hunting and filling the freezer with venison, but you really cannot beat hunting for hogs to bring home meat.

I'm curious Ryan. Aren't wild hogs primarily a scavenger type animal? I've always heard that pigs/hogs will eat just about anything. So how do you hunt wild hogs without worrying about whether the meat you bring back will be tainted somehow? I guess my question is how safe is it really? Are there specific procedures to follow when butchering that render it safe regardless of what the wild hog might have eaten?

Comment

They are all over Alabama and Tennessee

Comment

I couldn't help but think of this when I saw the topic title, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-_VAzYQN6g LOL
        JUST CAUSE THEY SAY IT DON'T MAKE IT TRUE And if it comes from Info Wars or Alex Jones, it's probably BULLSHIT!

Steve Bannon in his own words, speaks on Breitbart and the alt right http://www.theinvestigativefund.org/..._nationalists/

Know the FACTS b4 going off half cocked

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure why we are going to GA when we have tons of them in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, but the guy who owns the land send me some game cam pictures. They all look to be 250 lb plus and there are at least a dozen in every picture. I'm pretty excited. We are also going to Florida on the same trip for a turkey hunt. Then as soon as I get home I have a trout fishing trip to the White River and then two weeks later have my spring challenge. I love this time of year!

Comment

Working...
          X