Best Barter Items.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Barter Items.

I have lost confidence in the admin of this board. So it is with heavy heart,
    that I can no longer support it. I will more than likely start my own board in
    the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
    and remember "to be aware is to be alive" until we meet again w
    Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 12:43 AM.

So here is the question I have been asking myself. How do you barter without getting robbed in a SHTF scenario? If you decide to sell and grow weed, you are advertising that you have large amounts somewhere on your property. Sure you can build fences and post armed guards, but if 20-30 armed people show up and decide to target your stash you are screwed.

Comment

This is one of the toughest issues for most people who are prepping I believe. Personally I agree that the vices will be in highest demand. For myself, I know that I would NOT under any circumstances stoop to bartering with narcotics as I've seen drug abuse simply rip families apart and destroy lives. I have less of an issue with bartering cigarettes and alcohol, although I can't really justify stockpiling those things currently. And although not ideal, even "stale" cigarettes will have some value for people that are desperate enough for a smoke, and alcohol has a decent shelf life, so those are options. As for prostitution, I honestly know that I would NOT resort to that in the case of myself and my children, as it has seriously dangerous physical and mental consequences.

I don't have an issue with marijuana as I've used it myself and know many people who use it for its medical benefits. I've also never met anyone who said marijuana ruined their lives beyond repair. I believe its gotten an unfair rap from the government and medical community simply to keep us from taking advantage of said medical benefits. But I do agree there's an issue when bartering with marijuana because once people know you're growing it, you have a serious security issue on your hands as mentioned above.

My strategy therefore if SHTF in a major way is to avoid dealing with other people as much as is humanly possible. This means creating a completely independent, very isolated, and self-sufficient location for myself and my survival group. Those plans have been in the works but have been fraught with setbacks, so it's now become a race against time to get things in place quickly enough! So I guess my answer is I hope to avoid having to barter extensively. Should bartering become necessary, I would likely resort to cigarettes and marijuana but do it in a low key and infrequent way that doesn't advertise my location my "customers".

Comment

I don't reckon bartering or trading will be safe under any circumstances post SHTF so it does not enter into my planning.
        I stock whatever I think i'm going to need, as far as I can, and anything I cant store I intend to do without.
        at the end of the day I intend to be SELF reliant, and i'm concentrating more on skills and knowledge, which will last a lifetime, much longer than any amount of stores which will eventually get used up.
        if someone intends to survive solely on bartering I don't think they will be around for long.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
          I intend to be SELF reliant, and i'm concentrating more on skills and knowledge, which will last a lifetime, much longer than any amount of stores which will eventually get used up.
          if someone intends to survive solely on bartering I don't think they will be around for long.
          Yep I gotta agree with you here.

Comment

Catering to vices here will cost me a fortune in barter costs. A packet of cigarettes cost a bit over $1 (US75c) each, and a bottle of JW Red Label is near $40.00 (US$28.00).
            I have begun to concentrate my barter items down to 1Kg packs of white long grain rice at $1.40 (US$1.10). I have lost count of how many packs I have. Rice will always be in demand for the wife and kids, and will keep them alive.

When his kids are starving a sparky will fix my power point for a Kg of rice.

OC

Comment

Megan has the best answer, avoid people as much as you can. This will not be a medieval type scenario with trade and lively bartering merchants. It will be survival and if my family needed something, sorry i know how i would be. If you have it and they want it, they would just kill you or follow you back to your home. I can see bartering within a trusted community, but just with strangers? no...if they didnt do it their talk of some guy who had xxx would lead someone else to your spot from desperation , desperate people with nothing to lose would not stop at much to get things for them or their family. I am thinking medical supplies, and to have high value items of vice well....dont advertise by trying to barter, anyone knowing you had anything would be resentment, jealousy and death. Take a trip to a 3rd world country and go in with high value things, see what happens.

Comment

I guess the better prepared you are, the more you should avoid them, they're the ones who'll probably want something from you.. Though you never know when you're in a difficult situation (injured etc)..
                Always stay safe,

Dan

Comment

"Organizational Design. Like the primates that came before them, human beings were never loners. Indeed, the family is the centerpiece of all human societies. Because of the family’s enduring prevalence, modern Darwinian thinkers hypothesize that human survival was greatly aided by qualified monogamy—pair-bonding necessary for the prolonged care of the young. But no family would have survived the Stone Age without additional support. And thus was born the clan, or an extended family built through “marriages”—that is, mating with other families.'

By Nigel Nicholson

Comment

provided of course there are other survivors to mate with! which may or may not be the case, I don't think you can assume that everyone will survive the collapse of civilisation, in fact the estimated survival rate may be around 5-10%, and you may have to travel a long distance to even find anyone else much less mate with them, and travelling may not be safe either.
                    you first have to survive, possibly on your own for awhile, you have to adapt to the new "normal" that is nothing like the normal that went before, you'll be too busy putting food on the table and doing all that will be necessary to sustain yourself that you wont have time to even turn around much less go looking for others.
                    Last edited by grumpygremlin; 05-17-2017, 06:45 AM. Reason: additional.

Comment

"Human beings organize socially. They are held together by the bond of communities, although maintaining such communities is a complex matter. It involves a lot of brain power—remembering people, forging alliances, and keeping promises are all advanced mental tasks. And given our brain size, the biggest clan a human being can handle, according to Dunbar’s research, has 150 members."

By Nigel Nicholson

1. So survivors will organize.
                      2. Those who don't will die.
                      3. Trying to survive alone is certain death as no one person can prepare for everything.

It's just common sense.

Comment

I have heard this argument for many years "humans cannot survive alone"-load of tosh, plenty of people have survived alone, if there is no other person surviving in your area you will have to survive alone or die.
                        do not, repeat not put your trust in strangers, after an event they will tear and claw at anyone else to survive, its human nature, trust them at your peril.

Comment

Many people have survived long periods of time alone but at what cost? Many of those same people have lost their minds in the process. But even if you could survive alone why would you want to? Having somebody to watch your back can only be a good thing in a survival situation. You act gg like in a disaster by some miracle you will survive while all the people around you will not. Explain what scenario that would happen in? You think your the only prepper in your area but isn't that exactly what other preppers in your area would want you to think? First you say don't trust anybody in other posts. Then you say strangers as if that's what you have been saying all along. Of course strangers will have to be kept at arms length but if your scenario is true, strangers will be all that is left around you.

The bottom line is if man wasn't meant to be alone. No matter what has happened to make people survive alone in the end we need each other. If your so self sufficient why are you here on this forum? You don't need us and with your philosophy we don't need you and have to learn to make it without each other. Even on the internet people seek out others for companionship and to share common interests.

So your insistence to isolation makes no sense but thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                          X