Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival Skills

First survival skill potable water without it you will die

another thing is having a fire without the flame showing and very little smoke!
    research a Dakota fire pit!

Comment

Dakota fire pit great way to use smaller tinder with good heat production also

Comment

Having made the firm commitment to 'bug in', mainly because if age and infirmity, our strategy is one and only. We have little or no scope to have a Plan B.

From my old boy scout days, I have basic camping skills and I now have a box full of survival gadgets such as magnesium fire starters etc etc etc etc. None of which were available 60+ years ago. I am planning on NOT having electricity but relying on solar panels to run a camp 'fridge

Nevertheless i expect to stay within the 4 walls with as much obstruction for a home invader that I can muster. All I need now is a coupe of 9mm friends I will be right as rain.

OC

Comment

I think a critical skill, especially for anyone who has to bug-in within an urban area or a densely populated area will be avoiding detection and being deceptive. You cannot possibly continuously defend against hordes of desperate and hungry people. Running out of ammo would be an inevitable outcome. The only way to survive when bugging in is what Old Codger described above, stay within 4 walls as much as possible and distract intruders or block them from getting inside. I wrote an article about deceptive strategies on the blog, you can read it for more details at http://www.survivalsullivan.com/10-d...ers-can-apply/

Comment

As for bugging In, my MAJOR concern is home invasion and I fully expect it. The only thing that may save us is martial law which i am 100% certain WILL happen all over the world eventually.

As we stand over here ATM, the only people with guns are the bad guys, who care little about what the law says. I cannot imagine a 'seige' situation happening, with me taking sniper shots at 300 or 600 yards. More an 'in house' shot at 20 feet!

JMO

OC

Comment

I live on a small island 34 acres, log cabin small log barn huge garden, solar & wind supplys on hand for about 5 years, lots & lots shells. I think I am ready but you never no. I live alone well my dog too.

Comment

Sounds good, but a few friends or family may be a help if someone tries an 'Overlord'.

How far from the mainland are you? and who knows you are there? Water supply? Ground suitable for a vegetable garden? Water for that too?

The island group called FIJI near us is having a big rush on "1% ers" looking for 34 acre islands, wish i could! They run into the millions!

OC

Comment

You can go 3 days without water....I think that protecting yourself from the elements would be first on my list. Shelter all the way, wvcoalboy!

Comment

I live in a rural area on only 3 acres. Have a few neighbors, ten miles from town. There is city water here, but there is an existing well, I would love some help on turning it into a solar pumped well..no one I've talked to knows where to start. Tks

Comment

• Megan Stewart
                      Megan Stewart commented
                      Editing a comment
                      check out the YouTube videos by Engineer775. Just go to YouTube and search Engineer 775. He's an off-grid water guru and he has videos on all kinds of "water" projects. Also until you can do solar power pump, make sure you have a hand pump that you can use to draw water from the well in the event of a power outage. You can make one yourself out of PVC pump--Engineer775 has a video showing how to make one I believe.

I have lost confidence in the admin of this board. So it is with heavy heart,
                    that I can no longer support it. I will more than likely start my own board in
                    the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
                    and remember "to be aware is to be alive" until we meet again
                    Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

someone I know suggested getting materials ready and hidden away so that post SHTF you can make your place look abandoned but already trashed, lots of trash and stuff lying about.
                      board over the windows so no light escapes giving away someone is inside.
                      it may work, its worth a try.

Comment

• Megan Stewart
                        Megan Stewart commented
                        Editing a comment
                        see the link to my article on Deceptive strategies for preppers earlier in this thread. I talk about the strategy you mentioned and several others.

I have lost confidence in the admin of this board. So it is with heavy heart,
                      that I can no longer support it. I will more than likely start my own board in
                      the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
                      and remember "to be aware is to be alive" until we meet again
                      Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X