Permaculture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permaculture

i know some of you are garden enthusiasts, so I want to know how to plan a secret permaculture garden. I live on three acres..I have oak and pine trees. One tree is a mulberry. I live in west TN so the summers are hot and humid and the winters down to 15. I tried to plant fruit trees four years ago but they did not do well, I do have lemons and limes growing indoors. Local nuts and fruit would include, pecans, hickory and black walnuts, blackberries, autumn olive, and muscodines. I do not have running streams, but ponds that are dug do extremely well in our soil. I do not understand the concept of group planting. I know they are done in circles, but what goes with what? This is on my next to do list, any help would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to move to East-Central TN area someday soon. Fruit trees take a lot of water in their first year and they don't usually produce fruit for the first several years. In some cases you need to plant fruit trees of different kinds near one another so they will cross-pollinate. This may have been why your fruit trees didn't do well. As for planting in groups, it's typically called "companion planting". You may also want to research permaculture and food forest gardening. Here are two articles you may find useful in learning more about gardening and how it can be done. http://www.survivalsullivan.com/plan...rvival-garden/ and http://www.survivalsullivan.com/ever...nion-planting/. I also love the information provided by Marjory Wildcraft and the Grow Network so you may find some good info there. Good luck and hang in there!

Comment

I love east Tn, it is beautiful and peaceful. I worked at Dollywood for five years, and the recent fires were heartbreaking. I just received Dans books yesterday, and am reading up on permaculture. I am fascinated with the entire idea of growing what I need here at my home. I am on 3 acres, that gently slopes down hill, rain collects in massive amounts on my patio and under the house. The swale concept has me rethinking how to turn that water into ponds. Carrots love tomatoes is a book I have used for years, so companion planting is not new.. This year we tried the 3 sister concept, but did not have much luck with the corn. The peas/beans and the squash did well. I think it was the drought we experienced along with the crows.

Comment

it sounds very nice. Dan's book is great. I think the more ideas you can get the better. Think it through and try to use what nature is giving you to make it work for you. Even if you used the water that collects for a pond as a back up water source or for irrigation in your garden, it would be more useful than just having everything wet and soggy all the time. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X