Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic 25 Skills worth knowing

25 Skills worth knowing

I have lost confidence in the admin of this board. So it is with heavy heart,
    that I can no longer support it. I will more than likely start my own board in
    the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
    and remember "to be aware is to be alive" until we meet again
    Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:49 AM.

Guest replied
    the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
    Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• grumpygremlin
    replied
    I try and learn a new skill at least once a year, 2015 I learned how to construct a bow from natural materials, 2016 I learned some green woodworking skills and i'm already looking to see what courses are about for 2017.

Leave a comment:

• grumpygremlin
    replied
    okay lets see:
    gardener/grower.
    shooter.
    archer, bow and arrow maker.
    forester/woodsman/coppice.
    biker.
    heavy goods driver.
    van driver.
    crewbus driver.
    forklift driver.
    basic carpentry skills.
    hand sewing.
    cook.
    scout/tracker.
    main skill: SCAVENGER.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• grumpygremlin
    replied
    got most of them done in a long and varied life, running and jumping were never my strong point and childbirth is not applicable at my age and as a male.

Leave a comment:

• Ollady
    replied
    You are so funny, but thanks anyway..we California raised gals are more than blonde hair and bikinis..some of us are brunettes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• Ollady
    replied
    Oh gee, you had to ask...hand washing laundry, soak first, makes it easier to wash by hand,,stubborn stain, wash board scrub it, or store oxyclean. Starting a fire, learned that in girls scouts..but I do store some helpers like lint, matches, vasolene, fire starters. Cooking beans, if they are old add some baking soda, never use salt until they are soft, pressurecooker helps for a faster version..prep in advance by canning beans soak over night, fill jar half full of beans add fresh boiling water,and pressure can for70-90 minutes..beans in cans are ready, but I add a little more water and salt or make bean burgers. Weight and volumes are printed and laminated and my fridge, most I have memorized. Mending clothing, needle, thread, and or sewing machine..I have a tiny battery operated one, and a treadle. Lift and carry, I know how, but probably do not follow through each time. Knots, most weavers know knots, now I'm sure some of the sailor versions I have forgotten. Child birth, yikes too complicated to explain here. Wounds and splints I'm practicing..first aid course a must people..Bone. Broth, my favorite thing to do..roast your bones until they crack and smell good, place in giant pot and fill with water, bring to a boil and simmer for hours and hours, place in jars and pressure can for 70-90 min..use in all soups stews and rice dishes, or for gravies. Cleaning game, bleed first carefully remove guts second, then process as desired.we age ours first in the fridge. fishermens daughters know how to fish, clean, skin, and cook it in many ways....water, I have filters and a distiller. Seeds, I have many waiting for planting now, lemons, avocados and left over from the garden, floriani flint corn, okra, squash and tomato..was that all 13? Need to learn how to change a tire recognize bugs and animal tracks..add herbals to your list, that's important. I can read a compass.
    Last edited by Ollady; 12-27-2016, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ollady
    replied
    I got 13 out of 25, guess I have some more to learn

Leave a comment:

Working...
X