Kits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kits

So we have BOBs, GHBs, ICKs (in car kits) AHKs (at home kits) EDCs that include pocket kits which include Altoids tin kits. Then there are the sub kits specializing in things like fire, first aid and even hunting kits. But do they matter? Can we have enough gear in the right situation to save our asses? Pockets kits while small and portable, are incomplete. ICKs while good in an auto emergency, will they get you home?

I ask the questions because I in my life as a prepper have been all over the place with so many kits it shameful. At one time I counted 30 different kits for my family of 3 my wife, daughter and me. It was ridiculous. No matter how much stuff I had I felt like I needed more. Not only did I need what I needed but I needed the latest/greatest gadget that came out. My Leatherman Tread while it looks good on my wrist, really doesn't function well as a multitool. I'm still guilty of falling for new gear pitches. Check out this Kickstarter project I supported, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...it/description should have it in February.

But why? I know realistically, that little tube of gear isn't enough to save my life if lost for days in the woods. And if it would, is it the tube or my skills that will save me? I'm really trying to not be a gearhead and focus on skills. I'm trying to look at life like McGiever and make due with whats around. I feel like I can trust my brain more than my gear.

But maybe I'm fooling myself? What do you think? Can gear substitute for knowledge? Is knowledge able to substitute for gear and if not what gear is essential no matter what the kit? That's a question which is somewhat rhetorical as we all know the 10 c.but the initial question stands. Post what you think and maybe even include picks of your kits. Thanks

I don't think so, practiced knowledge is what we all need. I have a fishing kit, but don't know how to use it. I have herbals and books, but need to practice those skills as well. I can see, knit, crochet, weave,make soap, spin, cook, and can. Next is nursing, herbal meds, and learning to shoot...never to old to learn a new skill..also need to learn how to use an axe and probably a saw...also some self defense moves...do not want to worry about protecting myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ollady View Post
      I don't think so, practiced knowledge is what we all need. I have a fishing kit, but don't know how to use it. I have herbals and books, but need to practice those skills as well. I can see, knit, crochet, weave,make soap, spin, cook, and can. Next is nursing, herbal meds, and learning to shoot...never to old to learn a new skill..also need to learn how to use an axe and probably a saw...also some self defense moves...do not want to worry about protecting myself.
      BRAVO Lady, you seem like a woman who takes prepping seriously. I think you would be an asset to any real time, survival group I certainly enjoy reading your posts here

Comment

Thank you, for the nice words...I do try.

Comment

gear isn't much good unless the person knows how to use it. sometimes I think prepping was invented to continue the "consumer" society! some prepper sites are nothing but gear,gear.gear.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
            gear isn't much good unless the person knows how to use it. sometimes I think prepping was invented to continue the "consumer" society! some prepper sites are nothing but gear,gear.gear.
            Yes but kits which is what we're talking about in this thread is a reasonable topic of interest for basic tools and survival equipment. Most of us here on this board don't subscribe to having the latest / greatest good being hawked on most sites. We have skills. Kit's however do serve a purpose like your GHB that you talked so much about, in the "Whats with your keys" thread.

So why not share what in that GHB so we can see the kind of kit you carry "everywhere". That would be a good contribution to this topic

Comment

This is a giant post which Id hate to copy and paste entirely here but I broke down kits as systems depending on what and where you are , and what you are doing.

May not work for everyone but it works great for me

The response I received about the Ultimate Survival kit was impressive. However I suppose a new reader here could misunderstand what I actually carry all the time and how it comes together in a layered package.

The internet is full of lists, and of people trying to post a “better” list than the next guy. Pretty soon there is a list, of everything they own in the world.

And NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS EVER CARRIED IT

The rest here
              http://quietsurvivalist.com/ultimate-bug-bag/

Sorry posted the wrong link
              Last edited by Quietsurvivalist; 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM.
              http://quietsurvivalist.com

Comment

That was a great blog, I have been working on an edc and bob and so will try to find more appropriate items. Is a water bottle better than a canteen?

Comment

Ollady

Is a bottle "better"? That depends. For me yes they are. My filter threads on to the top of the bottle, I can get brushes in the bottle to clean them, they are almost indestructible if you use the stainless steel Kleen Canteen's which hold 40 oz instead of 1 liter. They fit in pouches made for Nalgene and cups made for a Nalgene fit on the bottoms in the pouch. You can put a frozen metal bottle near or in a fire to thaw where a plastic bottle or canteen will melt.

Having the bottle compatible with my gear and my filter especially is important to me. If you have ever tried holding a canteen under a water filter and trying to pump water and you will understand exactly why I chose the gear I did. Its not about whats "better" and more about learning what works together before buying a bunch of stuff to throw in a box because it didn't do what you thought it would
                  Last edited by Quietsurvivalist; 01-05-2017, 04:57 AM.

Comment

• Ollady
                    Ollady commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Which bottle would you purchase..I have a sawyer mini, and a life straw

The idea I run with is, use a filter that keeps dirty water out of any container you are using.

The Sawyer filters work well but they, like all straw type filters have a weakness. Most cant be used to get dirty water from a source into your clean container. They require a bladder or other container to either gravity filter or by squeezing the bladder and forcing the water through the filter.

To use them to fill a water bottle or bladder you have to have a container with contaminated water in it. I don't find this an acceptable option. And it adds to the weight you are carrying.

I like the Klean Canteen steel bottle http://amzn.to/2iOJHVEs because they thread on to my MSR Miniworx filter
                  http://amzn.to/2iOGF3J

The clean water is in a solid container and the contaminated water never gets into a clean container. And you can boil water in them, just pull off the cap and heat.

It by no means says your filters are bad or your plans aren't going to work. I have a box full of " filter options" that I finally decided aren't going to work for me, but I could trade them or give them to people when they had nothing.

And I have a life straw in my EDC pouch, because a back up is never a bad idea
                  Last edited by Quietsurvivalist; 01-07-2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

So the consensus seems to be, that we need a container and filter, no matter the kit we put together. Is there anything else we think is absolutely necessary, in our kits? Lets keep the suggestions coming

Comment

My belt kit has a fire kit, which is in a pouch with a space blanket and a dropper bottle of bleach, sometimes. The pouch is attached to my fixed blade sheath. My filter is in a pouch opposite with 2 water bottles, I carry gear based on where I am going and how far from home I am, because if I'm close enough to get home in 24 hrs on foot I don't need a ruck full of crap

My lifestraw is in my smock pocket, my MSR filter is in the pack because I cant carry enough water to get me farther than 30 miles, so Ill have my pack- layers are important

My smock stays in the truck, and Ive beat to death whats in that on the post I linked above. Kits are layers, based on where and how far. I have a case of water in my truck and I fill bottles or flexible canteens based on again, how far away from the truck I'm going, or for how long.

I humped a pack in the Army, if I don't absolutely need it, it stays home. My cutoff for that is if its more than 30 miles from home, the distance I'm comfortable traveling on foot in 24 hours
                      Last edited by Quietsurvivalist; 01-07-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I repacked my belt kit yesterday and did a post http://quietsurvivalist.com/annual-repacking-bush-belt/

I try to do it a couple times a year, refill the PJCB bag and change out the lighters if I need to. Refill my butane lighter in my EDC pocket carry.

Comment

Some excellent posts there Quiet Sorry for not acknowledging them before So for edification purposes, what would you consider the ABSOLUTE minimum, amount of gear one should have on them at all times? And when I say all times, I mean ALL times. Even while sleeping?

Comment

I inherited two fishing poles over the weekend, now I need some more hooks and line....

Comment

Working...
                            X