Simple Survival.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Survival.

I have lost confidence in the admin of this board. So it is with heavy heart,
    that I can no longer support it. I will more than likely start my own board in
    the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
    and remember "to be aware is to be alive" until we meet again
    Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:08 AM.

As I am a good part Cherokee, other part German, I have to ask...do you mean the cowboy as the first survivalist as hes not native compared to people who lived that way?

Comment

Great video though!!

Comment

the future, with all the content from this one and even more. So goodby everyone
        Last edited by Skills b4 Gear; 04-15-2017, 02:09 AM.

Comment

They used hides stuffed with straw and grass, then rolled when traveling place to place (discarding the straw and grass of course) and then restuffed and made bedding in the newer places...any kind of hide really. When traveling in hunting parties to track the buffalo herds per say, they took light provisions wrapped in a bedroll type structure for the several days it could take. I will not argue that cowboys were some of the more non-indigenous self sufficient survivalists by any means, as being with the herds you really did have to live off the land and make due from horseback for you and your horse. I enjoy your posts, will look for the next ones s they always have good context and good info in a sea of content that can be dubious at times, Have a great one! Dyann

Comment

Comment

During my most recent winter challenge I used deer hides layered with leaves for my bedding. I had tanned the hides after deer season last year. When I got to my site, I knew I would need a shelter well off the ground. It got down to 5F that night.

I made a bed frame with logs and then used smaller branches as slats to create a platform. I filled in the space with leaves and then laid down my first deer hide. Then a good pile of leaves and another hide. Then another pile of leaves and the last deer hide. It was the most comfortable and warmest bed I have ever built on a challenge.

Comment

Comment

The deer hides probably added about 10 lbs to the pack, so it wasn't horrible. The total pack weight was probably 40 lbs and that includes the interior frame pack which weighs 10 lbs by itself. I just wanted to try and do something primitive. I love my emergency blankets and use them all the time. They have saved my butt on several occasions.

Comment

While I love the idea of sleeping on deer hides, I'm afraid it would be too heavy for me to carry even the 10lbs extra weight. I'm working on getting in better physical shape but till then I'm going to have to stick to the lightweight emergency blankets. Thanks for sharing all your experiences Ryan, really interesting to hear about.

Comment

Oh yes, I am all about mylar blankets and lightweight...my respect to the frontier and cowboys but I am not reenacting those days so whatever is best for survival that I can get now is what wins.

Comment

I will probably not do the deer hides again. It was fun for a couple cold nights but I had enough. I have a thick, tarp style emergency blanket that I absolutely love. I bought one a while back and accidentally melted it a bit while using it to make jerky over a fire. I liked it enough that I went back and bought exactly the same brand.

Comment

Working...
                        X