Primitive Trapping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primitive Trapping

So I have two primary weaknesses when it comes to survival. Friction fire and primitive trapping without bait. I do well with fish traps, but outside of that I have had limited luck. I feel that friction fire will always be a challenge just due to finding the right type of wood, but I feel like I have real room for improvement in the trapping area. I know how to make good wire snares, spring snares, pit traps, and deadfalls but have had no luck with actually catching anything. I am reasonably good at finding game trails, but still end up with no meat. Does anybody have any secret tips or tricks for trapping without bait that could help my results? I realize this is one of the most difficult aspects of survival, but still feel I need to be better.

I to can make and set traps, however never having had occasion to feed in the bush, I can't really help you I can say THEORETICALLY that if trapping isn't your thing? Hunting might be a skill worth knowing? The game caught hunting will not only be more plentiful and hardy than that which you catch in traps. (rodents and other small game) But will certainly taste better too. Of course additional skills would need to be learned like cleaning, skinning and butchering but the payoff is worth it

Comment

I am an avid hunter and probably spend at least two full months per year hunting in the wild. I have been able to fashion a four point spear and snag some game from time to time, but most of my hunting is done with a compound bow, crossbow, or firearm. I like the idea of trapping simply because it does not require me to carry anything as bulky and heavy as a bow or gun. My uncle used to trap quite a bit on his property, but he used modern steel traps that are just as bulky and awkward as a firearm. As for cleaning, skinning, and butchering I am pretty well an expert. At this point I think my four year old son could probably butcher a deer if I asked him to. He watches me every time I go hunting.

Comment

I'm starting to think, I'd like to hang with you

Comment

Any time. I'm sure we could meet up and go hunting or do a survival challenge.

Comment

What are the scenarios for you when trapping? Your own land that you are on a lot, new places, when you are doing a challenge, etc I like to trap without bait the best, esp rabbit as the meat is so good for the dogs. But anyhoo, I mean if its okay for me to respond, or was it geared more towards above? whereabouts are you, we are in Ky.

Comment

I am no good with fish traps weir and such one thing, spearing ok, but basic traps nopes

Comment

I'm in Missouri. I have attempted primitive trapping on our property here and also on National Forest land throughout the state. I've done some trapping during my survival challenges, but I have also just set traps around the property to try and get better at the process. So far I have caught nothing. There are plenty of rabbits around here and I shoot five or six per year for the freezer. If you are having luck trapping rabbits without bait, what kind of traps do you set?

Comment

Working...
                X